I’m going to need this later too.
i’ll just leave this here.
— (via straymessages)
“She’s well-named,” he said.
Then he rested his head on th back of the rocker and closed his eyes again.
“When I wake up,” he said, “remind me that I’m going to marry her.”"
— from _Chronicles of a Death Foretold_ (via straymessages)
Now that it’s getting chilly again, my feet are eternally freezing. I get to stick my icy toes against his uncommonly warm body. To date only my parents and my dog have ever put up with this abuse. He’s a keeperrr.
Hilary Clinton should write a memoir and call it “An Unadulterated Life”.
William Li’s mindblowing TEDtalk—
- the process by which our body makes blood vessels is called angiogenesis
- when extra blood vessels are needed, angiogenic stimulators are released to prompt the making of extra blood vessels; when these are no longer needed, angiogenic inhibitors are released to prune the vessel count back to baseline
- when injuries occur and the blood vessel count is at an abnormal low, the angiogenic process prompts the body to replenish blood vessels but only to the baseline amount
- when the angiogenic process is not occurring normally, diseases arise
- cancer occurs when the angiogenic process is working in excess
- our bodies often produce microscopic cancer, which cannot grow beyond .5mm in size because it has no blood supply, when the cancer gains the ability to make angiogenic factors of their own, the disease becomes harmful and potentially deadly
- the blood vessels made by cancer cells do not resemble normal blood vessels, they are abnormal and poorly constructed, therefore, easy to target
- anti-angiogenic drugs have been shown to beat various cancers into remission in humans and animals
- 95% of cancers are caused by environmental factors, of which, diet accounts for 25-30%
- eating more naturally anti-angiogenic foods have been shown to be cancer-preventative
- in addition, adipose tissue depends on angiogenesis similar to how cancerous tissue does, so regular consumption of anti-angiogenic foods might be helpful in the fight against obesity
- in clinical trials, fat mice have been able to trim their weight by consuming more anti-angiogenic foods, but only to the baseline weight of a normal mouse, not thinner
- in other words, angiogenesis play a crucial role in regulating healthy set points for our bodies
rebloggin’ for a list of foods to keep eatin’
… and they want Tiny Desk GIFs because duh. Someone threatened to call the police if I posted them all at once, so we’ll do one an hour until 4 p.m. ET. Cool? Happy Friday! —Lars
i bet lars is a real cutie.
is there an Orange Is the New Black & House of the Dead mashup yet?
T.S. Eliot Reads: The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
had one of those ‘is she pregnant?’ suspicious encounters in the elevator today. awkward. can’t wait ‘til i move to a ranch with virtually no human contact.
also, i’m completely convinced philly is home to the most mom-to-be smokers ever.
i am going to my first real life baseball game in 2 weeks. now, i just have to be a nerd and read up on this stuff.
authenticity is a luxury.
- “Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with new self-respect, with new...”
When we live in a world where you can access free content of naked consenting women in less than 5 seconds, why are people still...